[rrd-users] Re: large values equal NaN?

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Fri Dec 9 05:59:07 MET 2005

On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 03:11:33PM -0700, Greg Redder wrote:

> Here's what I do.  I collect several values via SNMP and add them together
> with a shell script.  Then, the Cricket program via RRDs.pm (RRDs::update)
> writes the values to the database.  However, while I can see what value is
> attempted to be written, if the value is greater than about 10 billion,
> the value of NaN is written instead.
>
> I'm using rrdtool-1.2.11.

Please create a script that emulates your setup but with much smaller
rrd files.  It should:
- create a (small) database
- update it with some values, at least one of them being such a big
  number that it demonstrates the bug
- fetches rates, showing that NaN is indeed in the data

Then post it here so others can verify your findings.

--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/