[rrd-users] Re: rrdtool-1.2.10 compile problems..

Roth, Gabrielle gabrielle.roth at xo.com
Thu Dec 15 18:59:45 MET 2005

> Hello all, I have searched the forums and found a few
> references to this
> problem, but the fix is not working for me.
> Solaris 10
> rrdtool-1.2.10
 <snip>
> The previous "solution" was to link cc to gcc, but I am
> getting an invalid
> option "cc: unrecognized option `-KPIC'".  If anyone has a
> workaround for
> this, please let me know.  I have also exported CC=gcc, but
> that didn't do
> much either.

What's happening is you're trying to sort of "secretly" use gcc, but the
options are still configured for cc.

Here's how I've fixed this problem in the past (not on solaris 10, use
at your own risk, blahblahblah):
edit Makefile to include the following changes (of course, you will make
a backup first):

change:
CC = cc
to:
CC = gcc

change: (there may be more than one instance of this)
LD = cc
to:
LD = ld

change:
CCCDLFLAGS = -KPIC
to:
CCCDLFLAGS = -fPIC

change:
OPTIMIZE = -xO3 -xdepend
to:
OPTIMIZE = -xc

(This was from an *ancient* post on the rrdtool list, which my link to
no longer works.  This info has helped me with a *lot* of goofy
compiles.)

HTH
gabrielle