[rrd-users] Re: Strange rrdtool behaviour (IMHO)

Serge Maandag serge.maandag at staff.zeelandnet.nl
Tue Jan 4 22:09:20 MET 2005

> The output looks like:
> /usr/local/bin/rrdtool update /var/rrd/pingstats.rrd
> N:9.835:10.830:11.584:0

> The RRD definatly gets an integer as the fourth argument, as can be
> seen by the output from the script (which I started saving for
> debugging purposes), but how is it then possible that I
> get floats in the last GPRINTs?

That's a question that should be added to the top of the rrdtool FAQ.

Rrdtool normalizes all input.
You are updating using N: and that is probably not on a (
N times step seconds since 01-01 1970 00:00:00) boundary.

Secondly, unless the width of your graph is exactly the same
as the amount of RRA rows you are printing, rrdtool will average
One or some rows over two adjacent pixels. This also averages your
Values and that also affects your GPRINTs.

Serge.