[rrd-users] Data granularity

Tolga Yalcinkaya tolga at allesta.com
Tue Jan 18 23:02:11 MET 2005

I have been using RRD tool over 3 years.  Great tool...  Recently I have
ran into an issue that I am not sure how to handle.  Here is the synopsis:

I have a monitor scripts that gets invoked every time a user interacts
with a Web service.  There are several Web services that we are
collecting data from.  Each one goes to a different RRD.  Some services
are very busy (several hits per second) and some are not (a few hits per
week).   There is no way for me to identify which is which...

I would like to use 5sec STEP so that there is enough detail for busy
services.  A few questions to RRD gurus:

(1) What is best value for HEARTBEAT?  Is 10 seconds too low?
(2) What is the best value for XFF?

Thanks,

--Tolga