[rrd-users] Re: A doubt on RRD database

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Wed Jan 26 17:01:09 MET 2005

Right...that's the whole idea behind a round-robin database...

Paul

>>> "nero freak" <nero_god at mail.pt> 1/26/2005 10:02:46 AM >>>
I get the picture. :-)
If I would define a time period of 5 months, after the 5th month, time
would be continuously shifted after each data collected value, overwritting
old data from the begining, never increasing past the defined size for the
5 month data, correct?

BTW, thanks Serge for the explanation.

Cheers

> > So RRD is a FIFO. Is this a file-based DB?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Looked at the docs and it says that we can define the
> > database size at creation time. By this, if I define a size
> > for x samples during a month, then after a month, the saved
> > data will be overwritten with new collected data for the
> > following month. In this situation how can I analize the flow
> > for, e. g., 5 months?
> >

> Well it's a FIFO, so everytime a value is added the oldest value
> Gets shifted out.
>
> say your RRA holds 5 minute samples for a month, starts at
> 2000-01-01 00:00:00 and ends at 2000-01-31 23:55:00.
>
> Then after an update on 2000-02-01 00:00:00, the RRA will start at
> 2000-01-01 00:05:00 and end at 2000-02-01 00:00:00.
>
> And this is valid for every RRA.
>
> Serge.

Adira já ao Net Dialup Light. Acesso profissional gratuito.
NovisNet, a Internet de quem trabalha. http://www.novisnet.pt