[rrd-users] Adding a data source to an existing RRD file, example for perl RRDs

Marc Haber mh+rrd-users at zugschlus.de
Tue Jul 5 15:40:21 MEST 2005

Hi,

for various reasons, I need to add a new datasource to an existing
multi-datasource rrd file, preferably without losing the data history
of the other data sources.

There does not seem to be a tool available which allows doing this
automatically, so I'd guess that this is the right opportunity to
finally learn the RRDs interface for perl. However, the manpage is on
a quite high level which requires good proficiency in perl _and_
rrdtool, so I do not understand too much about it.

I guess that a good first step would be to write a perl program which
will create a new rrd which is identically configured than the
original one and then copies all the data, with the possibility of
diffing the rrdtool dump xml files to find out whether everything went
fine.

Addition of the additional DS would probably be easy to add once this
stage has been reached.

Can anybody give me some example code which does simple transformation
of rrd files using perl and RRDs? Or is there an easier way to add a
new DS to an existing rrd?

Greetings
Marc