[rrd-users] Re: rrdtool 1.2.10 on OS X + Tcl bindings solved

Mark Duling mark.duling at biola.edu
Fri Jul 8 01:55:11 MEST 2005

"Mark Duling" <mark.duling at biola.edu> on Tuesday, July 5, 2005 at 11:16 PM
-0800 wrote:
>Has anybody sucessfully built rrdtool with tcl bindingings?  I can't get
>that to work, though with tcl disabled it builds fine.
>
>Making all in tcl
>
>cc -dynamiclib -L/opt/local/lib  -L../../src/.libs -L../../src
>-L/opt/local/include tclrrd.o -o tclrrd1.2.10.dylib -lrrd -lm
>ld: Undefined symbols:
>_Tcl_AppendResult
>_Tcl_CreateCommand
>_Tcl_GetCommandInfo
>_Tcl_GetObjResult
>_Tcl_ListObjAppendElement
>_Tcl_NewIntObj
>_Tcl_NewStringObj
>_Tcl_PkgProvide
>_Tcl_PkgRequire
>_Tcl_SetIntObj
>_Tcl_SetVar2
>/usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
>make[3]: *** [tclrrd1.2.10.dylib] Error 1
>make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>make: *** [all] Error 2

Ok, I solved it at least for gcc4 which is what OS X 10.4 uses.  When I
try to compile it under gcc3.3 it can't find cgilib with the same
configure arguments for some reason.  Probably something minor but I don't
know what yet.  If anyone knows why the following configure arguments
would be handled differently with gcc 3.3 please let me know.  But anyway,
here is how I installed it on OS X 10.4.  For non-Mac users perhaps the
process is similar for Linux and your favorite package manager.

1) I installed all prerequisites with DarwinPorts: cgilib, zlib, libpng,
freetype2, libart_lgpl, and Tcl. (sudo port install <package-name>)

2) ./configure CPPFLAGS="-I/opt/local/include
-I/opt/local/include/libart-2.0 -I/opt/local/include/freetype2
-I/opt/local/include/libpng" LDFLAGS="-L/opt/local/lib -ltcl8.4"
--disable-python --with-tcllib=/opt/local/lib

3) make

4) make install

That's it!  If I can get the compiler flag issue solved for gcc 3.3 (for
older systems) I'll make a DarwinPorts package  of it so it will be even
easier from now on.  Cheers.

Mark