[rrd-users] Re: C/C++ vs. rddtool

Bastian Scholz nimrodxx at gmx.de
Fri Jul 22 20:43:46 MEST 2005

Hi,

Once again, I hit the answer, not the "answer to list" button,
in my first try...

> I have a little file called pathrddtool.sh which contains the lines:
>
> export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/rrdtool-1.2.10/bin
>
> After running the script I still don't get my path to rrdtool. I even echo
> $PATH and it's still the original.

This dont work! The PATH is only set for the shell-script itself and
the "child"-programs started inside this script.

You can source (include) the script to yous current shell with
> . pathrddtool.sh
or include the PATH statement in your ~/.bashrc

I prefere to install packages in /usr/local/$PROGNAME/ and
make a symlink to /usr/local/bin/

Cheers

Bastian