[rrd-users] Re: rrdupdate with UNKNOWN and 0 value

Salvatore D. Tepedino rrdtool at tepedino.org
Wed Jul 27 00:21:42 MEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 23:32 +0200, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> Since N: ist the curren time, this seems to be bad for reproducing
> anything ...
>
> please try creating a demo script using absolute time including an
> absolute --start time when creating the rrd file ...

I'm not sure what you're suggesting here. Normally, I create a rrd DB
without specifying a start time (doesn't it default to now?) then
updates after this would be inserted at the current time (N). Why should
that cause a unknown value to be stored as 0?

The problem I had was this: I created an rrd to store weather data with
several data points. One of the DSs, windchill, is unknown this time of
year, but it was being stored as 0. I confirmed that my update script
was putting the proper U for that point, but it still stored 0. I let it
run for a few days just to be sure (since it only updated once per hour,
it takes a while to see changes) but nothing changed. I created the same
rrd file using the exact same command, only changing which version of
rrdtool was called (to 1.0 from 1.2) and everything worked fine.

--
Salvatore D. Tepedino <rrdtool at tepedino.org>