[rrd-users] Re: what's the best way to poll data at a high frequency

Per Jessen per at computer.org
Thu Jul 28 18:13:29 MEST 2005

John Barber wrote:

> My suspicion was correct, the highest frequency you can run something
> with windows task schedule is 1 minute.
> How can I schedule something to run more often in a windows
> environment. I would consider using a Linux box to poll the data, but I
> would prefer to keep everything on the same server.

Pseudo-code:

do forever
{
        t=now()
        poll sensors
        update rrd
        wait 10-(now()-t) seconds
}

You could just do wait 10 seconds, but it depends on how long it takes to poll
and update rrd.
Like I said earlier, I use a daemon (written in C) for this - I'm sure you can do that on
Windows too.  (I'm on Linux).

/Per Jessen, Zürich