[rrd-users] Re: made mistake during creating rrd

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Tue Jun 28 13:18:10 MEST 2005

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 11:31:34AM +0200, Andreas Ihl wrote:

> rrdtool create $LOCATION.rrd --step 60 \
> DS:srv1_$LOCATION:GAUGE:120:0:U \
> DS:srv2_$LOCATION:GAUGE:120:0:U \
> DS:srv3_$LOCATION:GAUGE:120:0:U \
> RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:10080 \
> RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:5:8928 \
> RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:15:35040 \
> RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:86400:3650 \ # 60 days data for 10 years
>
> the last line should be:
>
> RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1440:3650  	# 1 day data for 10 years
>
> unfortunately i reccorded data for half a year to the incorrect rrd.
>
> Is there a simple way to import the data to a correct rrd?

There's no way to reconstruct daily data from 60-day data. This being
said, you can import data in a new RRD.  When you dump the data using
"rrdtool dump", you get a large file containing the rates at certain
intervals.  Each RRA will have an entry in this file.

Extract the data chronologically and use the best resolution for each
time.  Copy all of the 1-step-per-row RRA, copy everything from the
5-steps-per-row RRA except for timestamps already covered in the first,
do the same for 15-steps-per-row and 86400-steps-per-row.

Remove all XML-stuff and write down numbers in "normal" format, create
lines looking like "1119957300:1234.001:5731.23:194.4321"

The resulting list needs to function as input for the newly created RRD.

Make sure you initially set the DataSource type to GAUGE. Also make
sure heartbeat allows for large timespans (you need at least 5184000).
Make sure to set the start of the new RRD before the first update you're
going to perform.

Do the updates, oldest first.  After doing this, your new RRD contains
the same data; except for the resolution which *seems* to be better.
(it isn't, not yet).

Now you need to alter the new RRD.  Change heartbeat into something more
appropriate.  Change the DataSource types in what they should be (you
won't need to do this, yours are GAUGE).

Now start using the new RRD.  I think I covered all, be liberal in
applying my suggestions and adjust where/when necessary.

HTH
Alex