[rrd-users] RRDtool and NaN data

Justin Finkelstein comingupslowly at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 23:01:45 MET 2005

Hi

I've just today started using RRDtool with Cacti to try and log some
traffic data.

Basically, data that is sent to RRDtool isn't being added to the rra
files and I can't figure out why.

The RRA files are created with:

rrdtool create data.rrd   --step 300
DS:ifInOctets:COUNTER:6000:0:4294967296
DS:ifOutOctets:COUNTER:6000:0:4294967296
DS:ifRequests:COUNTER:6000:0:4294967296
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:600  RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:700  RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:775
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:797  RRA:MAX:0.5:1:600  RRA:MAX:0.5:6:700
RRA:MAX:0.5:24:775  RRA:MAX:0.5:288:797

and the data is passed to RRDtool using like this:

rrdtool update data.rrd --template ifInOctets:ifOutOctets:ifRequests
1110662859:0:8377243:7914
[etc; more lines were used in the test]

So, based on what I've read I can eliminate the following reasons for
data not being stored:

1. Permissions on the files are ok; these tests were run as root
2. The heartbeat is significantly larger than the step
3. The values being entered into the RRDtool are within the acceptible
range defined when the file was created.
4. The update commands are called at five-minute intervals

I have attempted to recompile the rrdtool software with #define DEBUG
but the output it provides is completely useless, and I have not been
able to find any reference to this output anywhere.

I have read the manuals, and all of the howtos that I could read.

Can anyone please explain why on earth this doesn't work?

Thanks!

j.