[rrd-users] Re: rrdtool graphs without the rrd?

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Thu Mar 24 02:52:50 MET 2005

>>> "Jayson Larose" <jayson at interlaced.org> 03/23/05 3:56 PM >>>
>Hello, folks.
>
>This is probably going to sound really stupid and/or blasphemous,
>but I was wondering if there's any way to get rrdtool to generate
>a graph from input data without having to populate and maintain
>an RRD.  I really like rrdtool's output graphs, but the data I track
>has to be kept around in a non-lossy format, and it seems like a
>waste of cycles to keep a set of RRDs populated for ongoing graphs,
>as well as potentially creating RRDs for custom graphs.
>
>If anyone knows if this is at all feasible, please let me know.
>
>--Jayson Larose

Jayson,

You should be able to populate it on the fly.  But, you can
always define an RRA that is not lossy.  I have all my
RRDs set up with the average RRAs as well as a "non-lossy"
5 minute RRA that has been extended to 1 year.  We back
these RRDs up at the end of the year.  At this point, I've
got 5 years worth of 5 minute data, and regularly do
long-term analysis of our bandwidth consumption.

Paul