[rrd-users] Message Monitoring

James Baldwin jbaldwin at antinode.net
Thu Mar 24 20:14:27 MET 2005

I'm in a position where I need to monitor the number of messages being
submitted into certain folders in a collection of IMAP mailboxes.
Basically, we're beginning to do efficiency testing on some of our spam
solutions and we're pulling one set of data from spamtraps in the form
of quantity of messages in specific folders, namely the inbox and spam
folder.
I would like to use RRDTool to represent this information graphical,
however, I have never used it before. After reading the brief tutorials
and some of the manpages I am still unsure how to accomplish what I am
looking for. I would like to update the rrd with the number of messages
received and the number of messages flagged as spam. If possible, I
would like every instance of the pull script per mailbox to update the
rrd and avoid having to aggregate the numbers for ever periodic pull of
all the mailboxes. The latter I find difficult to do as there would be
a flurry of updates every set interval with nothing in between where it
appears RRDTool was built around the assumption of a consistent
individual update every set interval. Ignoring that requirement, I
believe the necessary Data Source options would be:

rrdtool create target.rrd --start <start time> --step 3600\
DS:inbox:ABSOLUTE:7200:U:U\ I'm not sure exactly why I chose 7200,
except that the tutorials appeared to suggest twice the step
DS:spam:ABSOLUTE:7200:U:U\

The main source of my confusion is deciding on the appropriate archive
configuration line as none of the consolidation functions seem
appropriate. I would like to consolidate these based on sum so that I
can display, graphically, an accurate measure of the amount of mail and
spam we are receiving into these accounts. I'm sure this all derives
from my misunderstanding of how the rrd integrates with displaying
data, but any pointers or suggested reading are appreciated.
---
James Baldwin
hkp://pgp.mit.edu/jbaldwin@antinode.net
"Syntatic sugar causes cancer of the semicolon."

-- Type: application/pgp-signature
-- Desc: This is a digitally signed message part
-- Size: 187 bytes