[rrd-users] Re: Rrdtool-1.2.1 Compile Problem on Solaris 8

D. Walsh info at daleenterprise.com
Tue May 3 22:57:54 MEST 2005

On May 03, 2005, at 13:31, Tobias Oetiker wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> solaris 8 is my primary development platform for this code :-) ...
> my guess is that you are using a very old quite broken copy of gcc
> ... could this be ?

I am in no way an advanced programmer but I can tell you it doesn't
build in OSX using gcc3.3 or gcc4.0.

The failures are resulting from syntax issues in header and source
files from what I interpret as sloppy coding to get the job done.

While Tobi has made great leaps in the progression of this project,
it still has some issues.

I was interested in participating in the project by providing an
additional subproject for using RRDTool (see: http://
www.daleenterprise.com/info.php and http://www.daleenterprise.com/
rrdtool_info.php) but because I've had so many issues with getting it
to build I've temporarily shelved the project waiting for the main
code to get straightened out (which is slowly happening) and continue
to work on the project using an older version until I can move up to
the newer one.

Now, If I select an older version of gcc3.1 (gcc_select 3.1) I can
build the project but it still complains about syntax issues, it just
ignores them and continues where in gcc3.3 or gcc4.0 it isn't as
forgiving.

If you take the time to poke around, you might find that the problems
are definition issues in the .h files.  From there you might start
poking around in config.h and find that there are some things that
are incorrectly ifdef'd for your  OS, which considering the source
code, the author probably doesn't have or doesn't use primarily as
the code looks heavily MSVC influenced.

> cheers
> tobi
>

>> I'm attempting to compile rrdtool-1.2.1 on Solaris 8
>> (sparc-sun-solaris2.8), and the build is failing with the following
>> message:
>>
>> gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H "-DMAKE_TIMESTAMP=\"Tue May  3 11:20:50 EDT
>> 2005\""
>> -I. -I. -I..
>> -DRRD_DEFAULT_FONT=\"/usr/local/rrdtool-1.2.1/share/rrdtool/fonts/
>> DejaVu
>> SansMono-Roman.ttf\" -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/
>> libart-2.0
>> -I/usr/include -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include/freetype2
>> -I/usr/local/include/libart-2.0 -D_POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS -
>> D_REENTRANT
>> -g -O2 -fPIC -DPIC -Wall -pedantic -Wshadow -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-
>> align
>> -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -Wnested-externs -
>> Winline -W
>> -c parsetime.c -Wp,-MD,.deps/parsetime.TPlo  -fPIC -DPIC -o
>> .libs/parsetime.o
>> parsetime.c: In function `e':
>> parsetime.c:315: `__builtin_va_alist' undeclared (first use in this
>> function)
>> parsetime.c:315: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
>> parsetime.c:315: for each function it appears in.)
>> parsetime.c:314: warning: `ap' might be used uninitialized in this
>> function
>> parsetime.c: In function `expect2':
>> parsetime.c:460: `__builtin_va_alist' undeclared (first use in this
>> function)
>> parsetime.c:459: warning: `ap' might be used uninitialized in this
>> function
>> gmake[2]: *** [parsetime.lo] Error 1
>>
>> Jim Lose
>> Senior Systems Engineer, NDC Operations