[rrd-users] Re: Big rrd files (too big !)

paul pluap at xs4all.nl
Thu May 19 23:55:17 MEST 2005

I have done similar, however used a different approach.

using flowcat, flowfilter etc generated the output I needed. From the analysis of this data, I created a list of most frequent used ports (ssh, telnet, ftp, rdp etc)

make sure you have a totaldata variable somewhere, to have a reference on the data found.

create a job to update these specific ports. add rrd db for tcp, udp and icmp

create a graph where the data of all ports is stacked using different colors. On top, the line with totaldata and color the difference.

In the same graph, multiplied by -1, create a graph for tcp, udp and icmp

For me, this has given a great insight in traffic patterns and analysis if things were different than normal.

Additionally, I created a small job to display the top50 from netflow in a table on a webserver - combined with the rrd graph, the tooling to defend.

hth

paul