[rrd-users] Re: Big rrd files (too big !)

Vial, Sylvain Sylvain.Vial-1 at ou.edu
Mon May 23 23:25:27 MEST 2005

Hello,
I need to create reports for tcp_source_ip_addresses,
udp_source_ip_addresses, tcp_destination_ports and
udp_destination_ports.
For the moment the best way I found is to generated 4 lists (4 top ten).
But I want 4hours period reports and 1 daily reports for each list. So I
obtain 28 reports that I have to sort to eliminate duplicated values.
Then I will obtain 4 lists of the frequent used dest/src ports/ip-addr
for tcp/udp protocols.
But I have difficulties to understand how a round robin database works.
For me, I understood that I have to create one rrd file per dest/src
port/ip-addr (tcp/udp) I have in my 4 lists.
For each rrd files, I create 2 data sources in order to display graphs
in bytes or packets, but then I don't know how many RRA I have to
create.

I don't know what is the aim to create RRA, for example, for a weekly
archive, monthly archive, etc if it's, for example, display graph for
one month of captured flows.

I think this have a big influence on the size of the rrd files.

Thanks for your help.