[rrd-users] Creating an 'average by day' graph

Birmingham, Chris chris_birmingham at engin.com.au
Wed Nov 9 06:27:15 MET 2005

Hi All,

I was just wondering if anybody has any suggestions as to the best way to
achieve what I want to do.

I have a bunch of data, taken from a database hourly stored in 1hour steps
in an rrd file.
There are 6 categories of information stored in my RRD, and I am using MAX
function.

I have all my graphs setup to show the MAX value of each figure taken over
time, that part is working nicely :-)

What I would like to be able to do, is create an additional graph that shows
the average max on a daily basis.

So I would have a graph with 1-31 (representing days of the month) on the X
axis.

Day 1 would contain the average of all data for that particular category and
so on.

At the moment my plan is to:

Export all my RRD data for the given time period to XML format
Process this with an external script to give me daily averages that would
leave me with 31 results.
Reformat that back to XML put it back in an RRD and graph it.

I'm pretty sure there is a better way to do it, hence the email looking for
suggestions.

Apologies for the terrible explanation of what I am trying to achieve, I
hope someone in 'the know' can understand my ramblings :-)

Regards
Chris