[rrd-users] Re: Plot a dotted line

Simone Morandini simone.morandini at mix-it.net
Mon Nov 21 18:01:13 MET 2005

Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

>You want an intermittent on/off pattern, so you need to find
>a CDEF that alternates between UNKN and your value.
>
>The necessary CDEF will depend on the amount of time in your
>graph.  For instance: if the graph displays 400 hours, you could
>display that value for each odd hour and NaN for each even hour.
>
>something like (untested!):
>CDEF:dotted=TIME,3600,/,2,%,value,UNKN,IF

Thanks for the suggestion! Now it works, but I had to add a couple of
workaround: the CDEF that works on my machine is this:
"CDEF:dotted=TIME,3600,one,*,/,2,%,0.7,GT,$abw,UNKN,IF",
where $abw is obviously the value I have to display.
First, I had to define the variable "one" this way:
"CDEF:one=$ds1,$ds1,/", because "CDEF:dotted=TIME,3600,/" didn't work
(no graphs displayed at all!).
Second, the comaparison (x > 0.7) is used to set the length of the
segments of the dotted line; otherwise, an almost invisible dot is
displayed every 2 hours.

Thanks again,
Simone.