[rrd-users] Re: Read the docs [WAS: Possible RRDs.pm Bug]

Tom Daly tom at dyndns.com
Tue Oct 4 15:12:28 MEST 2005

> So, to summarize:  you had a problem finding information on how to print
> a consolidated value (LAST of a DEF in your case) without using the 1.0
> style command.
>
> Any suggestions on how to improve that manual page, so that you would
> have found it yourself the first time?

I don't think I can make an exact suggestion, but I can pinpoint the
source of my troubles:

The documentation clearly points out that (G)PRINT:vname:format is the
proper way to specify one of these parameters. However, reading through
the documents did not clearly relay to me that the proper definition for a
vname is declared as "(C|V)DEF:name=data,operator".

Re-reading everything, its easier to find. A helpful additon might be
reminder/link on
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/doc/rrdgraph_graph.en.html
that tells people to find out how to define a vname on
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/doc/rrdgraph_rpn.en.html.

Again, thanks for the help.

Tom Daly

--