[rrd-users] TOTAL gives different values on different graph widths

Erik Bernhardsson Erik.Bernhardsson at tdcsong.se
Wed Oct 5 17:23:37 MEST 2005

Hello,
I have not been using RRDTool for more than a few days so this might
probably be just a stupid question.

Anyway, I wanted to calculate the sum of a value using TOTAL and this
command seemed to work:

erik at ib-stage:~/jffnms-hpa$ /usr/local/rrdtool-1.2.11/bin/rrdtool
graph /home/erik/jffnms-hpa/poller1.png --end now --start end-86400s
--width 10000 DEF:polled=/home/erik/jffnms-hpa/poller.rrd:polled:AVERAGE
VDEF:polled_total=polled,TOTAL PRINT:polled_total:"%6.2lf %S"
0x0
  1.21 k

But when I rerun it with another graph width I get another value:

erik at ib-stage:~/jffnms-hpa$ /usr/local/rrdtool-1.2.11/bin/rrdtool
graph /home/erik/jffnms-hpa/poller1.png --end now --start end-86400s
--width 1000 DEF:polled=/home/erik/jffnms-hpa/poller.rrd:polled:AVERAGE
VDEF:polled_total=polled,TOTAL PRINT:polled_total:"%6.2lf %S"
0x0
  1.75 k

I'm guessing that it is because unknown values are being thrown away
when calculating TOTAL on consolidated values but is that really the
wanted behaviour?

I also noticed that the TOTAL value seems to converge to something (for
widths over 10000 the result is always the same).

Hope this is not another annoying beginner's question but I could not
really find anything helpful in previous posts or the documentation.

Regards,
Erik Bernhardsson