[rrd-users] Re: How get CPU and Memory values

Serge Maandag serge.maandag at staff.zeelandnet.nl
Fri Oct 7 23:39:05 MEST 2005

> But how can I calculate the processor load with the numbers
> from /proc/stat ?
>
> I didn't understand what they represent...  can you help me?
> do you have an example script or the calcule to do this?

The contents of /proc/stat differ among kernel versions and among
linux distributions. But there's a man page. `man proc` is what you
are looking for.

For my old server it says:
(the mailinglist program is going to ruin the formatting of this)

    stat   kernel/system statistics

              cpu  3357 0 4313 1362393
                     The number of jiffies (1/100ths of a second)
			   that the system spent in user mode, user mode

			   with low priority (nice), system mode, and
the
                     idle task, respectively.  The last value should
			   be 100 times the second entry in the uptime
			   pseudo-file.

Since it is a counter and it is counting 1/100th of a second, you can
just
take the number, put it in a COUNTER DS in your database and you
automatically are storing the cpu usage in percent.

`cat /proc/stat` says:

root at blackbox# cat /proc/stat
cpu  37636778 776 37294156 150024398
cpu0 18825283 409 18999739 74652623