[rrd-users] Entering historical information into RRD

Andrew andrew2005 at ledge.co.za
Tue Oct 11 17:21:46 MEST 2005

Hi there

I would like to record the squid access log into a rrd database
so that I can know how much traffic was happening at any given
time.  The problem with this is that the log entries happen
*after* the traffic has completed -- ie. the log may indicate
that for the last 55 minutes we were doing a long download,
comprising 120Mb, which has nothing to do with the last 5
minutes.  I would like this to be added to my RRD data, after the
fact.

Before:

  | x       x x               x
  |xx     xxxxxx              x
  |xxx x xxxxxxxxxxx    x  x xxx
  +-----------------------------

After ("o" represents added data):
  | x       x x
  |xx     xxxxxx              x
  |xxx x xxxxxxxxxxx    x     x
  |ooooooooooooooooooooooo x xxx

Is it possible to make this form of entry in RRD -- and if so,
how?

&:-)

ps. Yes, I know that there are better ways of getting information
about squid's activity -- but not per-user -- as far as I know.

--
Linux - laai niks anders