[rrd-users] Re: Stop it creating averages of the values.

Serge Maandag serge.maandag at staff.zeelandnet.nl
Wed Oct 26 14:11:45 MEST 2005

> Sorry I think it was me describing my situation badly... the
> commands I am using to update the rrd file are...
>
> rrdtool update test_1_errors.rrd N:0
> rrdtool update test_1_errors.rrd N:4
> rrdtool update test_1_errors.rrd N:8
> rrdtool update test_1_errors.rrd N:12

Ah, it was me that did the bad reading, sorry.

> So (to the best of my understanding) it should be COUNTER or
> DERIVE and as it can overflow (it jumps back to 0 if the
> monitoring process
> restarts) i chose COUNTER.

Counter protects against counter wraps. Not against randomly
resetting counters. Counter is alright, but you need to do
something yourself against counter resets yourself.

I think your problem is that you expect 4 to come out when you
put in a difference of 4. But what comes out is 4/step.

You can use a cdef to multiply by the step again before plotting.

Serge.