[rrd-users] rrd resize woes

Atle Veka atlev at flyingcroc.net
Fri Oct 28 00:53:13 MEST 2005

I browsed through the last two mailinglist archives and did some
searching, however I still have not come up with a solution..

I have a couple of hundred RRD files that I need to modify, specifically I
need to increase how long data is stored in one of the RRAs.
Say I have an RRD (step=300) with 2 RRAs;
	1) storing 600 rows with 1 pdp/rows (50 hours)
	2) storing 600 rows with 6 pdp/rows (300 hours)

If I increase RRA #1 to store data in 1200 rows (100 hours) with rrdresize
I run into problems with graphing. If I try to graph the last 3 days (72
hours), rrdtool goes with the highest resolution, RRA #1, but I only get
data from the last 50 hours. When the RRD got resized, the extra rows in
RRA #1 got values of NaN rather than *empty*, which I guess has to be that
way based on how rrdtool works. Or? How can I work around this?

Note: about a month back I started doing nightly RRD dumps of the past
24hours just so I would save data from being averaged out over time
knowing that it would take me a while before I could get started on this
project. So I do have that data as well, however it is not enough as the
RRA I am working with will be increased much more than that.

Thanks!
Atle
-
Flying Crocodile Inc, Unix Systems Administrator