[rrd-users] Re: generate an empty graph???

Leif Neland leif at neland.dk
Mon Oct 31 13:20:15 MET 2005

---- Original Message ----
From: "D. Walsh" <info at daleenterprise.com>
To: <rrd-users at list.ee.ethz.ch>
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2005 12:49 PM
Subject: [rrd-users] generate an empty graph???

> I have the following statement:
> rrd_graph(img/afp-monthly.png '--start=1128333600' \
> '--end=1130752800' \
> '--imgformat=PNG' \
> '--title=AFP Connections (4 weeks to Mon Oct 31 05:00:00 2005)' \
> '--width=520' \
> '--vertical-label=users/min' \
> 'COMMENT:\n' \
> 'COMMENT:site-stats v0.1.11\r')
>
> using rrdtool-1.0.49, it generated an empty graph and returns the
> following results:
>
> Array
> (
>     [xsize] => 611
>     [ysize] => 185
>     [calcpr] => Array
>         (
>         )
>
> )
>
> using rrdtool-1.2.11, it doesn't generate an empty graph and returns
> the following results:
>
> Array
> (
>     [xsize] => 0
>     [ysize] => 0
>     [calcpr] => Array
>         (
>         )
>
> )
>
> How can I get it to create the graph even if it doesn't contain any
> data:

It is pointless generating a graph with no data, and rrd but if you insist,
how about
CDEF:dummy:some.rrd:someval,0,*
LINE1:dummy:#ffffff:""

i.e. create a variable, which is always zero, but have values in the entire
timespan.
plot it white, i.e. invisible. (or perhaps it should be black to not erase
the x-axis).

Leif