[rrd-users] Re: Help on RRDTOO monitoring cpu loadavg needed!

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Sat Sep 3 10:46:07 MEST 2005

On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 08:19:09AM +0900, "CHEW YEW CHOONG" wrote:

>  Im learning perl and rrdtool now. I try to make
>  rrdtool to monitoring cpu loadavg. Everythings seems
>  working (rrd db created, updated, rrd images created,
>  updated. i check with doing a ls -l and compare the
>  timestamp on those files).
>  However, the is only one problem that screw the whole
>  things -- the graph is blank wiht no line :(

When a RRD is updated, it could be that you updated with the "NaN"
(or: Unknown) value.  That would show up as an empty "line".
However, since you are using GAUGE that is unlikely.

> >       "DS:1min:GAUGE:600:U:U",
> >       "DS:5min:GAUGE:600:U:U",
> >       "DS:15min:GAUGE:600:U:U",

You set your heartbeat to 600 seconds. That's ten minutes.  This is
OK, provided that you update multiple times, each no more than 600
seconds apart.  Your step time was 300 seconds so your plan is to
update every 300 seconds. Those updates are expected to be 300
seconds apart but MUST NOT be more than 600 seconds apart.

> >     RRDs::update "$rrd/cpu.rrd",
> >       "-t", "1min:5min:15min",
> >       "N:$min1:$min5:$min15";

That `` "-t", "1min:5min:15min",  '' is OK but redundant.

You should add some debugging to your script and do the computations
you expect RRDtool to make by hand.  Print those values you are going
to give to RRDtool into a file, together with current time (in seconds
since unix epoch would be best for easy monitoring).
Perhaps "$min1", "$min5" and/or "$min15" are not what you think.

Use other available commands to help you figure out what is going on.
"rrdtool info" and "rrdtool dump" may be of help here.

Alex