[rrd-users] Install help

Shane Dawalt shane.dawalt at wright.edu
Tue Sep 13 16:24:58 MEST 2005

  I've been having problems installing rrdtool1.2.11 (binary and source
RPMs) on my x86_64 RHEL v.3 box.

  One problem is that rrdtool1.2.11 requires python-devel > 2.3.4.  I
have python 2.4.1 installed.   But because I must retain the original
2.2.3 python installation to keep RedHat happy, the new python was
installed as "python2.4".  So the actual dependency should be
python2.4-devel.  However, it seems the rrdtool RPMs don't quite
understand this, and so they fail to install.  I hacked the SRPM .spec
to get around this issue.

  I also noticed that during Configure, it complains that it cannot find
the python header files.  I assume this is probably a bad thing at some
later point.

  And during compilation, I get the error:

libtool: link: cannot find the library `librrd.la'

and the build exits.  Is librrd.la somehow connected to the python
issue?  Maybe these are two separate issues?  I found one or two
messages on the boards about the librrd.la error, but no replies.

  Shane