[rrd-users] Tracking uptime

Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy grisha at ispol.com
Tue Sep 20 21:31:54 MEST 2005

Hello -

I am contemplating on how to best track uptime in an RRD. For
clarification - uptime in this case is not as reported by uptime(1), but
rather a result of a periodic check and the goal is to get a percentage
uptime over a period (e.g. 99.97% over past 30 days).

So I'm thinking of setting up a GAUGE with values from 0 to 100, and
setting it to 100 every time the check succeeds or 0 every time it fails.
Then I should be able to get the average over a period of time which would
result in 'percent up' and the new TREND function can give me a moving
average of uptime over, say, past 30 days.

Am I on the right path here, or am I missing some other more obvious way
to track uptime?

Thanks,

Grisha