[rrd-users] Re: Tracking uptime

Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy grisha at ispol.com
Wed Sep 21 04:33:55 MEST 2005

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 03:31:54PM -0400, Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:
>
>> I am contemplating on how to best track uptime in an RRD.

[snip]

>> So I'm thinking of setting up a GAUGE with values from 0 to 100,

[snip]

> No need to do 0 and 100.  0 and 1 will also do (0.9997 in stead of 99.97%)
> although 0 and 100 aren't bad either.
>
> If possible at all: try to write fractions of 100 (or 1) when you detect
> downtime somewhere in the interval but not right now.

Could you elaborate on this last point? You mean that if I have knowledge
that half of the interval it was up, then write 50%?

I plan on taking samples every minute. Rather, our system works by
expecting a heartbeat packet from a server once every 60 seconds, and when
no packet arrives for more than 70 seconds, I will record a 0 uptime at
that time. It will keep writing 0 every minute until the first packet
arrives, then it will writ 100%. I will set the -step to 60 seconds as
well.

Since I'm looking at uptime over last 30 days or more, I think this should
be fairly accurate without having to adjust for fractions of a minute
here and there?

Thanks a million for taking the time to respond!

Grisha