[rrd-users] CROSSPOST from rrdtool-developer: rrdtool with SQL DS using libdbi

Martin Sperl rrdtool at martin.sperl.org
Mon Apr 24 19:24:39 MEST 2006

Hi!

I have got a patch for rrdtool that allows to define datasources that
are not backed by an actual rrd file but retrieves the data from a SQL
database.
This has already been posted to rrd-developers, but I have not received
any feedback!

So here the list of features:
List of features:
* db-abstraction via libdbi with DB support for the following Databases
out of the box:
    * mysql
    * postgress
* calculation of the "derivative" of a database values (so that we get
behaviour simmilar to COUNTER/DERIVE type datasources)
* (on the fly) prediction logic, which gives from DB data values for:
    * prediction
    * sigma
* SQL-DS can also be used for further transformations with CDEFs

For more detailed information (as well as a textual manual page plus the
patch itself) please see the original post in the rrd-developers archive:
http://lists.ee.ethz.ch/rrd-developers/msg01692.html

I hope to receive some comments to improve this piece of code, so that
it can get incoporated into a future rrdtool release!

Cheers,
           Martin