[rrd-users] Re: Image optimizing

Jason Fesler jfesler at gigo.com
Thu Aug 3 19:41:15 MEST 2006

> I have about 5000 rrd files that I update every 10 minutes. I don't really have
> a problem updating the files in that amount of time, but I have to make 12
> graphs/file - one set for each of 3 variables showing the data over the last
> day, week, month, and year. This obviously is an extremely time and memory
> consuming process and I was wondering if there was any way to cut down on the
> amount of time needed for this.

Consider generating them on demand only.  The CPU and I/O savings will
probaly make up for the havig to wait for the graph to generate :-).  I'm
doing that with hundreds of thousands of RRD files now.  I also have a 60
second cache, so if multiple parties are hitting the same graph parameters
at the same time (responding to some event) the servers doesn't fall over
on their arses.