[rrd-users] Re: rrdtool missed values <1.0

Thomas Peter thomas at braindumped.com
Thu Aug 31 15:38:21 MEST 2006

hi tobi,

>heartbeat is a sort of failsave against accepting values which are
>too fahr apart ... if you expect to get a value every 5 minutes (on
>average), but are not sure that you will always get an update in under 5
>minutes you would set the heartbeat to maybe 7 minutes so that even
>when the updates arive a bit late they would still be accepted ...

ok.
i check for updates every minute, and do update if values are provided.
this is the case 3-6 times a day in an interval from 1-90 minutes.
so i have updates starting at 6:00 and keep updating till ~ 6:45,
and from 9:00 till 9:15, and some update-windows are only one minute
long, so only one update value is inserted (11:00, 11:30, 15:00, 17:30).
what would be the best heartbeat for my purpose?
24h? 12h 120s?

and does the heartbeat has something to do with my data-'loss' of
values < 1.0?

thanx,
thomas