[rrd-users] Adding or removing a ds / Data Source from an .rrd file

Peter Valdemar Mørch swp5jhu02 at sneakemail.com
Tue Feb 21 14:53:53 MET 2006

Hi,

When I first started using RRDTool, we noticed that it was not possible
to add or remove DSes from rrd files once they've been created. For that
reason, we've been using RRDTool with exactly one DS per rrd file.

Now, 2.5 GB of rrd files later, we've discovered, that due to
performance reasons, this just doesn't fly any more. Having several of
these DSes in the same RRD file is just SO much faster and causes much
less IO and therefore load on the system.

I found a RRD-Merger tool that merges old and new *values* (from the
same DS) into a single rrd file, but not one that adds or removes DS-es
to/from a RRD file. Also, it loads the entire rrdtool dump of file.rrd
into memory at once during parsing, which doesn't fly either.

Are there tools out there that can do this?

If not, I'll just write my own using perl and XML::Twig - but I'd rather
put my effort into other things! :D

Peter

--
Peter Valdemar Mørch