[rrd-users] bug - no way to retrieve an RRA that is a multiple of another

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Thu Feb 23 01:03:18 MET 2006

So I'm looking at the fetch algorhithm for determining the RRA to
use, and it appears that selection of an RRA that is a multiple of
another is impossible unless you expand the time range to a period
where both don't have data.

Example:

RRA - 5 minute average, 30,000 entries
RRA - 30 minute average, 3,000 entries
RRA - 2 hour average, 300 entries

So let's say that I want to get the 30 minute average for yesterday
noon to today noon only:

All three of the following queries return the exact same result (5
minute average)

rrdtool fetch datafile.rrd AVERAGE ds0 -s end-1d -e 12:00 -r 300
rrdtool fetch datafile.rrd AVERAGE ds0 -s end-1d -e 12:00 -r 1800
rrdtool fetch datafile.rrd AVERAGE ds0 -s end-1d -e 12:00 -r 7200

Dropping the "-r" or using an off time naturally returns the 1-minute
values for the same period.

Obviously I could get the 5-minute average if I wanted it by using -e
12:05 but there's no 30 minute average that isn't also a 5 minute
average.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek