[rrd-users] Cacti Package Dependencies

Travis cbrbike at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 22:27:08 MET 2006

Hello All,
    I am currently using MRTG for network monitoring and have recently
started using RRDTOOL. I'm getting familiar with how to collect the data and
graph using just RRDTOOL. However, writing all the scripts and keeping track
of all the files are too cumbersome and therefore I wish to try my hand at a
frontend tool. I've chosen to try Cacti. I'm sure some of you are aware of
this tool. Anyway, I am using a RHEL 4 machine with the following RPM
packages installed;
httpd-2.0.52-19.ent
php-4.3.9-3.9
mysql-4.1.12-3.RHEL4.1
net-snmp-5.1.2-11.EL4.6

and ofcourse I have compiled RRDtool 1.2.11 which I have working on my
machine.

Anyway, here is the problem. Forgive me for any newbie questions as I am
"new" to network monitoring and Linux administration but greatly appreciate
assistance.

Here are the package requirements per the Cacti site...

   -

   RRDTool 1.0.48 or greater
   -

   MySQL 3.23 or greater, 4.0.20d or greater highly recommended for
   advanced features
   -

   PHP 4.1 or greater, 4.3.6 or greater highly recommended for advanced
   features

*Packages for RPM-based Operating Systems*

   -

   httpd
   -

   php
   -

   php-mysql
   -

   php-snmp
   -

   mysql
   -

   mysql-server
   -

   net-snmp

Ok, so the only ones that I don't have are;
php-mysql
php-snmp

So I have downloaded the following .rpm packages to my machine:
php-mysql-4.3.9-3.i386.rpm
php-snmp-4.3.9-3.i386.rpm

Now, when I try to install these packages here is what I get:(dependency
error ofcourse)

rpm -ivh php-mysql-4.3.9-3.i386.rpm
warning: php-mysql-4.3.9-3.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID
4f2a6fd2
error: Failed dependencies:
        php = 4.3.9-3 is needed by php-mysql-4.3.9-3.i386

rpm -ivh php-snmp-4.3.9-3.i386.rpm
warning: php-snmp-4.3.9-3.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 4f2a6fd2
error: Failed dependencies:
        php = 4.3.9-3 is needed by php-snmp-4.3.9-3.i386

So I check the version of php that I have and I get this:

rpm -qa | grep "php"
php-4.3.9-3.9

My question is, why am I getting a dependency error when it appears that I
have the correct php version installed? What steps can I take to find out
why these packages are not installing?

I greatly appreciate any input you could provide. ;)

--
~Travis ;-)