[rrd-users] Re: Strategies for data storage and graphing

Ruttenberg, Tanya Tanya.Ruttenberg at ssa.gov
Tue Jan 10 15:44:36 MET 2006

This is an interesting dilemma.

I've had a lot of thoughts about this since I started replying to your mail.

One of the main features of rrdtool is its ability to consolidate the data
over a period of time.  Or age out the data if you decide not to use RRA's.
You have to decide ahead of time the maximum amount of data you are ever
going to want to store there.

It seems from your email that you are planning to WORK AROUND that feature
and use rrd files as an alternative to your mysql database.  For instance,
you want to be able to see a graph of 90 days of data that reflects the data
in your mysql database. Is this correct?

If this is true, and you decide to use pre-created rrd files, it seems to me
you will have to create rrd files large enough to store the maximum amount
of data anyone could ever want to see a graph of.  If this is a possibility
in your environment, then I think suggestion 2 is the way to go. Or even
better, if you can save the pmacct data in the rrd files as you collect
it--at the same time you store it in your rdbms.  I don't know how you get
the data into mysql (not familiar with pmacct), but if it is put there via a
script you wrote, you can also write into it an rrdtool "adapter" that puts
the same data into rrd files at the time it is collected.

If you cannot predict how much data someone is going to need (for instance
you never know if someone is going to want to view a graph with 2 years'
worth of data) then you have no idea how large to create your rrdfiles and
you have to somehow go with #1.  Though I don't see how to get around the
performance issue there.

There is not some other tool that extracts data from a database and
generates a graph directly from this data?  Though I agree rrdtool has
excellent graphing ability so I can see why you would want to leverage that.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear how you resolve this.

Tanya Ruttenberg - RSIS Contractor
OTSO/DNE/NMPEB
tanya.ruttenberg at ssa.gov
410-965-9605