[rrd-users] Re: traffic volume recording

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Tue Jan 17 14:55:14 MET 2006

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 01:05:04PM +0100, Michael Bunk wrote:

> Second, I want to record traffic volume data in an rrdb. I'm planning to do a
> 'fetch' and display the megabytes transferred over the days of the month as
> numbers in an HTML table.
>
> Is this the right approach? Does anyone record traffic volume using an rrdb?

There are several ways to accomplish this.  However, due to data
normalization and consolidation rrdtool may not always be the right
tool.  Sometimes it's better to use regular databases, like SQL.

> My current rrdb has these parameters:
>
> step = 300
> DS:ds0:DERIVE:1800:0:NaN
> RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:600
>
> The DS gets the bytes/sec from the network interface. I didn't want to use
> GAUGE here, because if fear counter wraps.

I think you're on the wrong track here.  DERIVE should get bytes, not
bytes per second, unless you want to monitor bytes/(second*second) i.e.
the growth of throughput vs. throughput itself.

> As the whole thing didn't run for a complete day yet, I only fetch 'UNKNOWN'
> values from my RRA. That is why I think of adjusting the xff value.

Ignoring unknown values by setting xff is like sticking your head in
the sand, like ostriches do.  Suppose you set xff to 0.99999999999.....
 then one valid PDP would show up as a whole day of valid PDPs.  Is
that really what you want?

By the way: step = 300  and  RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:600  means 00:00 UTC
to 00:00 UTC, not midnight to midnight local time.

--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/