[rrd-users] Using RRD to generate KPI

Stefano Cislaghi s.cislaghi at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 15:33:34 MET 2006

Hi all,

I'm experiencing with RRDTools to generate graphs of KPI of some
platforms. Simplest KPI to plot are referred to webservices.
With a simple shell script run by cron every 5 minutes I log on a file
these data:

23/01 14:25 0.014 OK 1138022700
23/01 14:30 0.013 OK 1138023000
23/01 14:35 0.014 OK 1138023300
23/01 14:40 0.018 OK 1138023600
23/01 14:45 0.014 OK 1138023900

Then I put third and last field to my rrd database:

rrdtool update mydatabase.rrd $TIMESTAMP:$TIMEVALUE

So my idea was to plot a graph with every measure and the math formula
for polynomial tendency.

Scale is from 0.000 and 10.000 . When a webserver does not respond
value shown is 0.000 .

By default I've created db as shown in the example, but value of
average is not interesting for me:

rrdtool create mydatabase.rrd --start 1138017600
DS:responsetime:COUNTER:600:U:U RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:24
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:10

It's possbile to graph only DS data?
Any tips for me?

Thanks