[rrd-users] rrdtool with unregular data flow

Maik Töpfer maiktoepfer at web.de
Fri Jan 27 00:39:25 MET 2006

Hello,

I'm trying to set up the rrdtool in an environment where no real
static information flow exists. This means sometimes data arrives
more often sometimes it doesn't arrive at  all.
Although I know that rrdtool has been designed for a regular data
input I like the idea of the round robin database very much.

What I did:

I set up a database file:

rrdtool create maik.rrd --step 2 DS:fts:GAUGE:2:U:U RRA:AVERAGE:
0.5:1:3600

now i'm trying to enter data. This should allow me half an hour of
data storage.

when data would be inserted in the following time line

2 seconds: nothing
3 seconds: nothing
4 seconds: nothing
5 seconds: nothing
7 seconds: nothing
19 seconds: nothing

than i expected to fetch something like

timestamp:100
timestamp:na
timestamp:na
timestamp:120
timestamp:na
timestamp:na
timestamp:140

but instead i see most of time only timestamp:na

I don't want to extend the heartbeat intervall too much since in some
areas i will have a constant dataflow, in some not. But I rather want
to display the fact that there where no data points (na) than
consolidating the data over a longer intervall.

what can i do to see the actual stored data with the fetch command if
there are also bigger gaps between certain datapoints?

Thanks,

Maik