[rrd-users] Re: rrd updates give NaN

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Mon Jul 31 18:41:16 MEST 2006

On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 03:20:16PM +0000, Tony Howat wrote:

> Sorry, typo in my initial query - it's only running every 60s. I don't quite
> get the reference to "unknown time"? The only delay will be the execution of
> rrdtool update itself as the it uses is updated from another thread in the
> perl program.

What you are saying is like this in pseudo code:

> while forever
> do
>     run_rrdtool
>     sleep 60
> done

The execution time of this loop is more than 60 seconds.  Say it
takes 0.1 seconds to 'run_rrdtool'.  If you require the updates to
be no further apart than 60 seconds, and if you update every 60.1
seconds, each update will arrive too late.

I'm not saying this has to be the cause of your problem.  I do say
something like this is the most likely cause.

Try changing that 'N' into a real timestamp and then log every update
command so you can do some analysis.

--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/