[rrd-users] Re: rrd updates give NaN

Frank D. Gunseor fdavidg at adelphia.net
Mon Jul 31 20:43:24 MEST 2006

Please excuse me if I am butting in, but I have been following this thread
with great interest.

I am just starting out with RRD and I am having a very similar problem.

Here is the way I created my database in Perl v 5.8.8:

# if the database hasn't been created,
# do so now, or die with an error.
#print "Creating database!";
if (!-f $db) {
    RRDs::create ($db, "--start", $now-1,
          "DS:IBM:ABSOLUTE:900:0:U",
          "DS:MSFT:ABSOLUTE:900:0:U",
          "DS:LNUX:ABSOLUTE:900:0:U",
          "RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:4800",
          "RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:4:4800",
          "RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:3000",
    );

    if (my $ERROR = RRDs::error) { die "$ERROR\n";}
}

When I look at the database with RRD Editor or with fetch I see a lot of
Nans.

Does RRD "back populate" the database with NaNs to be able to creat the
averages when it is first created???

I am using a perl program crontab to collect the data every 15 minutes. I
checks every minutes and runs the perl program starting on the hour, 15
minutes after, 30 minutes after, 45 minutes after, etc.

I would appreciate any help and or insight so I could learn more and correct
my mistakes.

Thank you.

Frank