[rrd-users] Re: How best to load up RRDs::graph

Joe Loiacono jloiacon at csc.com
Mon Jun 12 15:09:39 MEST 2006

Doh! ... left off the graph filename ...

Joe Loiacono/CIV/CSC at CSC
Sent by: rrd-users-bounce at list.ee.ethz.ch
06/09/2006 05:00 PM

rrd-users at list.ee.ethz.ch
cc

Subject
[rrd-users] How best to load up RRDs::graph

I have stared at this a long time, but can't see the problem. The issue
has come about because I'm fiddling with the way Perl provides the
parameters to RRDs::graph, trying to be able to include/exclude certain
parameters when necessary. The same thing works using the old way (see
below - the Perl is at the bottom.)
TIA, Joe

I print out what I have and try the command line (the rrd file and DS are
valid):

rrdtool graph --title Last24Hours --start 1149797278 --end 1149883678
--width 600 --height 150 --slope-mode
DEF:flowbits=/htp/cgi-bin/FlowViewer_3.0/FlowTracker_RRDTool/science_data.rrd:flowbits:AVERAGE

VDEF:flowbitsmax=flowbits,MAXIMUM VDEF:flowbitsavg=flowbits,AVERAGE
VDEF:flowbitsmin=flowbits,MINIMUM VDEF:flowbitspct=flowbits,95,PERCENT
AREA:flowbits#FFE0C0 LINE:0.3:flowbits#000000

ERROR: Not a valid vname: flowbits in line
VDEF:flowbitsmax=flowbits,MAXIMUM

New Perl (trying two methods):

@graph_parameters =
                    ('--title',"$rrd_title",
                     '--start',$start_rrd,
                     '--end',$end_rrd,
                     '--width',$rrd_width,
                     '--height',$rrd_height,$slope_mode,
                     "DEF:flowbits=$rrdtool_file:flowbits:AVERAGE",
                     'VDEF:flowbitsmax=flowbits,MAXIMUM',
                     'VDEF:flowbitsavg=flowbits,AVERAGE',
                     'VDEF:flowbitsmin=flowbits,MINIMUM',
                     'VDEF:flowbitspct=flowbits,95,PERCENT',
                     "AREA:flowbits#$rrd_area",
                     "LINE:$rrd_thick:flowbits#$rrd_line" );

 print "@graph_parameters\n\n";

 $rrdgraph_command = "rrdtool graph " . "@graph_parameters";
 print "\n$rrdgraph_command\n";
 system($rrdgraph_command);

 RRDs::graph $graph_file, @graph_paramters;

Old Perl (works, but with limited flexibility, can't use empty variables)

RRDs::graph "$graph_file",
            "--title=$rrd_title",
            "--start=$start_rrd",
            "--end=$end_rrd",