[rrd-users] Data not entering RRD, only "nan" values

BigglesZX biggleszx at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 00:09:17 MEST 2006

Hi all,

I'm trying to graph packet and byte counts from iptables, but all I
get is "nan" in the RRD.

I used this command to create the RRD:

> rrdtool create chatter.rrd --start N DS:packets:GAUGE:60:0:U DS:bytes:GAUGE:60:0:U RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:720

And I'm using a PHP script being called every 60 seconds (I know this
isn't a great way to do things, it just happens to be convenient as
I'm passing data from another system). The php script is executing the
following command:

> rrdtool update chatter.rrd N:$packets:$bytes

Where $packets and $bytes are replaced with the actual values (and as
far as I can tell, they *are* actually being replaced).

Whenever I try to generate a graph, with the following for example:

> rrdtool graph chatter.png -t "ResNet Chatter Data" DEF:Packets=chatter.rrd:packets:AVERAGE

I get the "0x0" "I'm not playing" message, and no graph. When I use
`rrdtool fetch` I get a list of "nan" values.

`rrdtool info` returns the following:

> filename = "public_html/chatter/chatter.rrd"
> rrd_version = "0003"
> step = 300
> last_update = 1150408047
> ds[packets].type = "GAUGE"
> ds[packets].minimal_heartbeat = 60
> ds[packets].min = 0.0000000000e+00
> ds[packets].max = NaN
> ds[packets].last_ds = "UNKN"
> ds[packets].value = 0.0000000000e+00
> ds[packets].unknown_sec = 146
> ds[bytes].type = "GAUGE"
> ds[bytes].minimal_heartbeat = 60
> ds[bytes].min = 0.0000000000e+00
> ds[bytes].max = NaN
> ds[bytes].last_ds = "UNKN"
> ds[bytes].value = 0.0000000000e+00
> ds[bytes].unknown_sec = 146
> rra[0].cf = "AVERAGE"
> rra[0].rows = 720
> rra[0].pdp_per_row = 1
> rra[0].xff = 5.0000000000e-01
> rra[0].cdp_prep[0].value = NaN
> rra[0].cdp_prep[0].unknown_datapoints = 0
> rra[0].cdp_prep[1].value = NaN
> rra[0].cdp_prep[1].unknown_datapoints = 0

I've been poking away at this for hours and I can't figure out what's
wrong - why the data isn't going in. If anyone could shed any light on
this it would be much appreciated!

Many thanks for taking the time to read this. Regards,

  Biggs

biggleszx at gmail.com
http://www.biggleszx.com/
ICQ 104870111

[ Because I used to be...

T H E B A S T A R D O P E R A T O R F R O M H E L L ! ! !

...and sometimes, late at night I get these twitches. Like dead people
get. (Or, as I prefer to call them, perfect computer users)

In the mornings I get them too. Like when the phone rings. And when I
get email. And when people talk to me. AND when people are hogging the
expresso machine to make fluffy milk. But apart from that I'm cured. A
new man. ]