[rrd-users] Re: Update RRDTOOL from 1.0.49 to latest

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Wed Mar 1 09:14:48 MET 2006

Today Simone Felici wrote:
> Hello to all!
>
> I would like to update rrdtool from actual version 1.0.49 to the latest.
> Can I do this operation without any problems on my 4500 rrd files?
> I use simply rrdtool update and rrdtool graph (!) commands. Are these
> commands now different and I need to change ALL my scripts? Hope Not!
>
> Thank's in advice :)

Hi Simon,

well, rrdtool 1.2.x can read and write 1.0.x format, but when you
create NEW rrd  files they will use an updated format which can not
be read by the old version

as fahr as compatibility goes, there is basically only one thing to
look out for: if you have ":" characters in COMMENT commands
(rrdtool graph) you now have to escape them using \: (make sure the
shell does not eat the \ and it actually gets to rrdtool

cheers
tobi
.

--