[rrd-users] newbie questions

James Sweeney jamessweeney at tees.tamus.edu
Wed Mar 15 18:10:30 MET 2006

RRD Users,

I am a first go-round user and I have some scientific data that I receive daily in the morning that contains 15 minute data from the previous day for various objects. If would like to use RRDTOOL for organizing my data and rapidly generating graphs.  My plan is to create RRDs for each object.  My end goal is to setup a process that parses data, loads the data and creates visualization graphics for daily, weekly, and monthly profiles for each object.  Once the data is inspected it is dumped and archived into a database.  My question(s) are:

1.	Does my time shift in receiving data impact my updating the RRD directly (i.e. not creating RRD formatted XML and loading the RRD)? If so how and is it possible to work around?
2.	Do I need RRAs for each period (daily, weekly, Etc).
3.	I don't wont to "loose" my 15-minute data; so do I create an RRA that can hold X time of 15 minute data as well?

I hope these questions are not to naïve.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Regards,

-Jim

James Sweeney

Senior Research Associate