[rrd-users] Who has the most RRD files (or data sources)?

Tarus Balog tarus at opennms.org
Thu Mar 16 00:40:59 MET 2006

On Mar 15, 2006, at 3:20 PM, Mark Plaksin wrote:

> Who has the most RRD files (or total data sources in RRDs)?

This is from an ISP in Oregon:

-bash-3.00$ find . -name "*rrd" | wc -l
   413132

We have a couple of client that large.

>   How frequently are they updated?

Once every five minutes.

> What do you use to update them?

OpenNMS. Each file is 283K long containing ~24K rows, and they each
represent a single SNMP variable. We found that with so many small
files it is easy to overload the disk I/O (and please, please don't
use RAID-5), so if we miss writing one value we will store it until
we get the opportunity to write it again. It takes almost as much
time to write 2 or 3 values as it does one, so we get caught up.
Without such a queue, the smallest load on the filesystem (like the
one I caused doing the find above) would result in the application
getting farther and farther behind until it crashed. Now once steady
state is reached after startup, you can almost set your watch by the
update.

Hardware notes: this is a Sun v440 with 8GB of RAM connected via NFS
to a NetApp NAS. Without the NetApp it would be almost impossible to
handle the load.

-T

-----

Tarus Balog
The OpenNMS Group, Inc.
Main  : +1 919 545 2553   Fax:   +1 503-961-7746
Direct: +1 919 647 4749   Skype: tarusb
Key Fingerprint: 8945 8521 9771 FEC9 5481  512B FECA 11D2 FD82 B45C