[rrd-users] Re: Who has the most RRD files (or data sources)?

Steve Friedl steve+rrd-users at unixwiz.net
Mon Mar 20 18:48:23 MET 2006

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 12:35:30PM -0500, Mark Plaksin wrote:
> And there are no sequential XML parsers?  And thus XML is only good for
> small amounts of data?  I know little about XML but find this hard to
> believe :)

You'd be right: there are two broad categories of XML parsers:

DOM - load the whole thing in to a tree
SAX - stream parser with callbacks

DOM is useful if you need to manipulate everything as a whole, but it
sucks everything into memory at once. Not really great for huge trees.

SAX gives callbacks at the various points in the process, so if you
need to just pick out one part of the tree, it can be done with no
more memory than just the intersting parts.

Steve

--
Stephen J Friedl | Security Consultant |  UNIX Wizard  |   +1 714 544-6561
www.unixwiz.net  | Tustin, Calif. USA  | Microsoft MVP | steve at unixwiz.net