[rrd-users] counter overflow

Bohdan Linda bohdan.linda at seznam.cz
Thu May 4 12:22:32 MEST 2006

Hello,

I have a ISP provider, who has data limits. These limits are per month
based. Thus I have created limit measurement based upon iptables and every
month I zero the counter. So far ok.

I decided, that it would be nice also to monitor trafic. I am using the
same values as for limits. But it has one drawback. When I zero the
counters, rrdtool assumes that counter overflow occured and creates
incredible traffic spike.

My idea is to set hard limits to rrd database, which will be aligned with
connection bandwidth, but if doing so I would get "Unknon".

The question is, can I configure data source not to perfrom overflow checks?

Kind regards,
Bohdan