[rrd-users] Re: counter overflow

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Thu May 4 13:21:32 MEST 2006

Hi Bohdan,

In you case it may make sense to use the data source type DERIVE
with a minimal value of 0 this will have the effect of just
ignoring the 'reset' ... and logging one unknown interval ...

cheers
tobi

Today Bohdan Linda wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a ISP provider, who has data limits. These limits are per month
> based. Thus I have created limit measurement based upon iptables and every
> month I zero the counter. So far ok.
>
> I decided, that it would be nice also to monitor trafic. I am using the
> same values as for limits. But it has one drawback. When I zero the
> counters, rrdtool assumes that counter overflow occured and creates
> incredible traffic spike.
>
> My idea is to set hard limits to rrd database, which will be aligned with
> connection bandwidth, but if doing so I would get "Unknon".
>
> The question is, can I configure data source not to perfrom overflow checks?
>
> Kind regards,
> Bohdan
>
> --

ETH Zurich
Tobias Oetiker, IT Support Group D-ITET (ISG.EE)
ETL F24.2, Physikstrasse 3, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
Phone +41 44 63 25286,  http://people.ee.ethz.ch/oetiker/